The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is the traditional doctoral qualification that is associated with a wide range of subjects in universities across the world. It offers an opportunity for research to be undertaken in depth and for the outcome to be assessed as a contribution to knowledge. Although it has a theoretical dimension, the research programme can also enable managers to explore specialist areas of practical application.
About the Programme
The programme consists of the following elements:
- directed reading after enrolment;
- approval of proposed research topic;
- attending a Research Design and Methods Workshop, incorporating workshops about writing a literature review and undertaking research using the action research and case research methodologies, complemented by directed reading;
- approval of your research proposal by a Supervisory Panel and subsequently by the AIB Ethics Committee;
- carrying out your research and writing a thesis of between 70,000 to 100,000 words.
You will be accompanied and supported on your research journey by a panel of 2 to 3 supervisors including an expert Principal Supervisor who has the primary responsibility for managing the supervision process as well as a Co-supervisor/Associate supervisor. Regular interaction and communication with the supervisors occurs during the research journey to provide appropriate academic support, monitor progress and performance, and ensure appropriate outcomes. Where it is not feasible to have regular face-to-face interaction, other means of communication through video conferencing will be facilitated. Contact will also be encouraged with other research degree candidates through online discussion forums, workshops and interactive webinars among others.
As with all AIB programmes, the Doctor of Philosophy is accredited within the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). It is an AQF Level 10 qualification. The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Course Details will give you more information about this program.
Please click here for more information on AIB Research Degrees.
When can I join?
Applications for the 2018 intake are now open. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application pack.
How long will it take to complete?
The course will normally be completed in 3 to 6 years. The Research & Higher Degrees Committee will consider whether there is a case for extensions of time beyond 7 years.
What qualifications do I need to be accepted?
For Admission to the programme, applicants should normally have:
- a Master’s Degree (AQF Level 9) in business and commerce or related discipline area at Credit or higher level Grade Point Average with an appropriate research component; or a Bachelor’s degree (AQF Level 8) in business and commerce or related discipline area with minimum second upper honours or equivalent, and
- Management or professional experience of 3-5 years;
All applicants must have access to a workplace for research.
For all admission requirements, please see Course Details.
How much will it cost?
Please note, AIB is an approved FEE-HELP provider. Please see the Study Assist website to check eligibility for Commonwealth Fee-HELP Assistance.
AIB is a member of a Tuition Assurance Scheme for the protection of student fees.
Student Visa Holders
Please note, AIB is not currently accepting applications for study with an on campus component from anyone holding a Student Visa. We encourage you to check our website for future updates.
For more information, please visit the Information for Research Candidates page.