The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is a research degree programme designed for experienced managers. It offers an opportunity to take your business and management knowledge and understanding to a higher level and, importantly, to relate it closely to your workplace needs. Like the PhD, the DBA offers a doctoral qualification but, in this case, one that is more directly linked to the world of work.
About the Programme
The programme consists of the following elements:
- completion of four coursework subjects;
- approval of proposed research topic;
- attending a Research Design and Methods Workshop, incorporating sessions on writing a literature review and undertaking research, using action research and case research methodologies;
- approval of your research proposal by a Supervisory Panel and subsequently by the AIB Ethics Committee;
- carrying out your research and writing a thesis of 50,000 to 80,000 words.
You will be accompanied and supported on your research journey by an expert Principal Supervisor. Where it is not feasible to have regular face-to-face interaction, use will be made of other means of communication. Contact will also be encouraged with other research degree candidates.
As with all AIB programmes, the Doctor of Business Administration is accredited within the Australian Qualifications Framework. It is an AQF Level 10 qualification.
Please click here for more information about the Course Structure of the DBA.
When can I join?
The critical dates for Research degrees are as follows:
- Applications open date: 1 February 2017
- Applications close date: 1 May 2017
- Administrative Date of first subject: 9 June 2017
- First subject start date: 7 July 2017
After enrolment, you will receive a reading pack and you will be advised of arrangements for the next Research Design and Methods Workshop.
How long will it take to complete?
The course will normally be completed in 3 to 6 years. The Research & Higher Degrees Committee will consider whether there is a case for extensions of time beyond 7 years.
What qualifications do I need to be accepted?
AIB will be looking for candidates with:
- a Master’s Degree (AQF Level 9) at Credit or higher level Grade Point Average with an appropriate research component; or a Bachelor’s degree with Honours (AQF Level 8) with minimum second upper honours or equivalent, and
- Management or professional experience of 3-5 years;
All applicants must have access to a workplace for their assignments and research.
How much will it cost?
For current course fees for the DBA, please click here.
AIB is a member of a Tuition Assurance Scheme for the protection of student fees.
Student Visa Holders
Please note, AIB is not currently accepting applications for study with an on campus component from anyone holding a Student Visa. We encourage you to check our website for future updates.
For more information, please visit the Information for Students page.