The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is a research degree programme designed for experienced managers. It offers an opportunity to take your business and management knowledge and understanding to a higher level and, importantly, to relate it closely to your workplace needs. Like the PhD, the DBA offers a doctoral qualification but, in this case, one that is more directly linked to the world of work.
About the Programme
The programme consists of the following elements:
- completion of four coursework subjects;
- developing and making an oral presentation of draft research proposal prior to submission;
- oral presentation of research proposal to the academic community, seeking approval of research proposal by a Research Assessment Panel and subsequently by the AIB Ethics Committee (as required);
- carrying out research and writing a thesis of 50,000 to 80,000 words;
- presenting research to the academic community prior to submission.
You will be accompanied and supported on your research journey by a supervisory panel including an expert Principal Supervisor who has the primary responsibility for managing the supervision process as well as a Co-supervisor/Associate supervisor. Regular interaction and communication with the supervisors occurs during the research journey to provide appropriate academic support, monitor progress and performance, and ensure appropriate outcomes. Contact will also be encouraged with other research degree candidates through online discussion forums and interactive webinars among others.
As with all AIB programmes, the Doctor of Business Administration is accredited within the Australian Qualifications Framework. It is an AQF Level 10 qualification.
The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) Course Details will give you more information about the program.
When can I join?
Enquiries about 2021 intake applications should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long will it take to complete?
The course will normally be completed in 3 to 6 years. In extenuating circumstances, AIB may consider grounds for extension beyond 7 years. See Higher Degrees by Research Policy and Higher Degrees by Research Procedure for details.
What qualifications do I need to be accepted?
Applications should normally meet one of the following criteria:
- a Master’s Degree (AQF Level 9) at Credit or higher level Grade Point Average with an appropriate research component; or a Bachelor’s degree with Honours (AQF Level 8) with minimum second upper honours or equivalent.
- The AIB Master of Management provides a pathway to the Doctor of Business Administration.
It is desirable that applicants have access to a workplace for their assignments and research.
For all admission requirements, please see Course Details.
How much will it cost?
Please note, AIB is an approved FEE-HELP provider. Please see the Study Assist website to check eligibility for Commonwealth Fee-HELP Assistance.
For current course fees for the DBA, please click here.
AIB is a member of a Tuition Assurance Scheme for the protection of student fees.
Honouring the founder of AIB, Emeritus Professor Selva Abraham, AIB offer a full tuition scholarship to support a doctoral candidate who may be experiencing financial hardship. Scholarship applications for 2021 commencements are now closed. Enquiries about future intakes should be directed to email@example.com.
Student Visa Holders
AIB is not a CRICOS-registered provider and is unable to enrol Student Visa holders.
For more information, please visit the Information for Research Candidates page.