The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is the traditional doctoral qualification that is associated with a wide range of subjects in universities across the world. It offers an opportunity for research to be undertaken in depth and for the outcome to be assessed as a contribution to knowledge. Although it has a theoretical dimension, the research programme can also enable managers to explore specialist areas of practical application.
About the Programme
The programme consists of the following elements:
- directed reading after enrolment;
- developing and making an oral presentation of draft research proposal prior to submission;
- oral presentation of research proposal to the academic community, seeking approval of research proposal by a Research Assessment Panel and subsequently by the AIB Ethics Committee (as required);
- carrying out your research and writing a thesis of between 70,000 to 100,000 words;
- presenting research to the academic community prior to submission.
You will be accompanied and supported on your research journey by a Supervisory panel including an expert Principal Supervisor who has the primary responsibility for managing the supervision process as well as a Co-supervisor/Associate supervisor. Regular interaction and communication with the supervisors occurs during the research journey to provide appropriate academic support, monitor progress and performance, and ensure appropriate outcomes. Contact will also be encouraged with other research degree candidates through online discussion forums and interactive webinars among others.
As with all AIB programmes, the Doctor of Philosophy is accredited within the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). It is an AQF Level 10 qualification. The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Course Details will give you more information about this program.
When can I join?
Enquiries about 2021 intake applications should be directed to email@example.com.
How long will it take to complete?
The course will normally be completed in 3 to 6 years. In extenuating circumstances, AIB may consider grounds for extension beyond 7 years. See Higher Degrees by Research Policy and Higher Degrees by Research Procedure for details.
What qualifications do I need to be accepted?
For Admission to the programme, applicants should normally have:
- a Master’s Degree (AQF Level 9) in business and commerce or related discipline area at Credit or higher level Grade Point Average with an appropriate research component; or a Bachelor’s degree (AQF Level 8) in business and commerce or related discipline area with minimum second upper honours or equivalent, and
- Management or professional experience of 3-5 years;
It is desirable that applicants have access to a workplace for their research.
For all admission requirements, please see Course Details.
How much will it cost?
Please note, AIB is an approved FEE-HELP provider. Please see the Study Assist website to check eligibility for Commonwealth Fee-HELP Assistance.
For current course fees for the PhD, please click here.
AIB is a member of a Tuition Assurance Scheme for the protection of student fees.
AIB is pleased to announce the establishment of 1 new full-tuition PhD Scholarship and 2 new half-tuition scholarships commencing in 2021. The Scholarships underscore our commitment to applied business research by supporting the advancement of original research that is contextualised in business environments.
The scholarships are available for AIB’s accredited Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program. The full-tuition and half-tuition scholarships have a maximum duration of 3.5 years full time or 7 years part time.
Scholarship applications for 2021 commencements are now closed. Enquiries about future intakes should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Visa Holders
AIB is not a CRICOS-registered provider and is unable to enrol Student Visa holders.
For more information, please visit the Information for Research Candidates page.