English Language Requirements
Since English is the primary language of instruction and communication at the Australian Institute of Business, all applicants must meet the English language requirements in one of the categories below. Additional information on the support available to AIB students is included in our Student Handbook, on our main site.
Applicants whose first language is not English need to demonstrate proficiency in English with a score of:
- 6.5 or better on the Academic IELTS (with no individual band lower than 6.0), or
- 575 or better on the TOEFL, or
- 85 or better on the TOEFL IBT (International Benchmark Test), or
- 235 or better TOEFL CBT (Computer Based Test), or
- 58 or better Academic PTE (Pearson Test of English), or
- 176 or better Cambridge English scale, CAE and CPE (from 2015), or
- A Levels with a C or better in English in the CTC General Certificate of Education (GCE).
English Language Test results are valid for two years up to the date of commencement at AIB.
Evidence of successful completion of secondary education in English
Applicants who have successfully completed secondary education (equivalent to Australian Senior Certificate of Education) that was taught and assessed in English in one of the countries listed below where English is the first language:
- Canada (except Quebec), or
- Australia, or
- New Zealand, or
- UK – England, or
- UK – Scotland, or
- UK – Northern Ireland, or
- UK – Wales, or
- Republic of Ireland, or
- South Africa, or
- United States of America.
Evidence of successful completion of tertiary education in English
Applicants who have successfully completed tertiary education (equivalent to AQF Level 5 or above) that was taught and assessed in English in one of the countries listed below where the medium of instruction was in English*:
- Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United States of America, UK – England, UK – Northern Ireland, UK – Scotland, UK – Wales, South Africa, Republic of Ireland, Antigua and Barbuda, American Samoa, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Cameroon, Cook Islands, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Liberia, Malawi, Maldives, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, Tanzania, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
*Medium of Instruction in English is assessed against the Country Education Profiles on Australian Education International (AEI) or the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC UK). English Instruction will only be accepted if AEI or NARIC UK states that English is the language of instruction relevant to the country, education level or Institution.