The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is a research degree programme designed for experienced managers. It offers an opportunity to take your business and management knowledge and understanding to a higher level and, importantly, to relate it closely to your workplace needs. Like the PhD, the DBA offers a doctoral qualification but, in this case, one that is more directly linked to the world of work.
About the Programme
The programme consists of the following elements:
- completion of four coursework subjects;
- approval of proposed research topic;
- attending a Research Design and Methods Workshop, incorporating sessions on writing a literature review and undertaking research, using action research and case research methodologies;
- approval of your research proposal by a Supervisory Panel and subsequently by the AIB Ethics Committee;
- carrying out your research and writing a thesis of 50,000 to 80,000 words.
You will be accompanied and supported on your research journey by a panel of 2 to 3 supervisors including an expert Principal Supervisor who has the primary responsibility for managing the supervision process as well as a Co-supervisor/Associate supervisor. Regular interaction and communication with the supervisors occurs during the research journey to provide appropriate academic support, monitor progress and performance, and ensure appropriate outcomes. Where it is not feasible to have regular face-to-face interaction, other means of communication through video conferencing will be facilitated. Contact will also be encouraged with other research degree candidates through online discussion forums, workshops and interactive webinars among others.
As with all AIB programmes, the Doctor of Business Administration is accredited within the Australian Qualifications Framework. It is an AQF Level 10 qualification.
The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) Course Details will give you more information about the program.
Please click here for more information on AIB Research Degrees.
When can I join?
Applications for the 2019 are now open. For further information, you are invited to contact the AIB Research Coordinator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long will it take to complete?
The course will normally be completed in 3 to 6 years. The Research & Higher Degrees Committee will consider whether there is a case for extensions of time beyond 7 years.
What qualifications do I need to be accepted?
Applications should normally meet one of the following criteria:
- a Master’s Degree (AQF Level 9) at Credit or higher level Grade Point Average with an appropriate research component; or a Bachelor’s degree with Honours (AQF Level 8) with minimum second upper honours or equivalent, and
- Management or professional experience of 3-5 years;
All applicants must have access to a workplace for their assignments and research.
For all admission requirements, please see Course Details.
How much will it cost?
Please note, AIB is an approved FEE-HELP provider. Please see the Study Assist website to check eligibility for Commonwealth Fee-HELP Assistance.
For current course fees for the DBA, please click here.
AIB is a member of a Tuition Assurance Scheme for the protection of student fees.
Student Visa Holders
AIB is not a CRICOS-registered provider and is unable to enrol Student Visa holders.
For more information, please visit the Information for Research Candidates page.