The aim of this subject is to provide a scholarly and in-depth knowledge of the dynamics of leadership. Topics covered include: nature and importance of leadership, leadership traits, behaviours and attitudes, leadership styles, leadership culture, ethical issues, leadership when creating change in organisations.
On completion of this subject participants should be able to:
- Critically discuss the concept of leadership, including forms of leadership and the complementary nature of leadership and management.
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of power and influence in relation to leadership and the importance of ethical values of a leader.
- Identify and critically examine various personality traits and forms of intelligence impacting on leadership.
- Describe and explain what is involved in various fundamental leadership skills including setting goals, managing conflict and motivating a team.
- Critically analyse the role of leadership in relation to organisational culture and organisational change.
- Apply leadership concepts and theory to professional practice in the workplace.